Friday, April 11, 2014

Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream

This week two of my friends at school have their 17th birthdays, so in order to celebrate, I decided to bake them some cupcakes. After getting inspired by flavour combinations on Pinterest (my secret obsession), I decided I would make my signature vanilla bean cake, filled with homemade vanilla bean pastry cream and topped with raspberry Swiss meringue buttercream.

So I started by making the pastry cream and considering it was my first attempt, I was thrilled with the way it turned out! Nice and thick, just like it should be with heaps of vanilla beans and no lumps.

Then I made the raspberry coulis that I would then add to the buttercream. Since I live in NZ and raspberries are now out of season, I had to settle for frozen berries but it turned out just as I wanted as well. So far so good!

After completing my favourite vanilla bean cake recipe and baking the cupcakes, it was on to the frosting…the traditional Swiss meringue buttercream. This requires whipping egg whites and adding a sugar syrup followed by adding butter piece by piece…quite the gruelling process, but completely worth it!

Now the cupcakes were ready to assemble, filling piping bags and decorating them with hand-piped chocolate ganache hearts.


Hope the girls like the final result! J




No comments:

Post a Comment